26 May Air Conditioner Maintenance Tasks Dallas Homeowners Can Tackle
Like most complex equipment, your air conditioner requires special maintenance. Scheduling a spring tune-up through your HVAC consultant is a great way to keep your A/C in top form. Several of the tasks the technician performs during annual air conditioner maintenance visits require expertise and training, but a few can be tackled by the homeowner with basic knowledge of how the A/C runs.
Here are some tasks you may want to perform before your technician arrives.
- Replace or clean your air filter. A dirty air filter is the greatest reason for an air conditioner’s poor performance. Change the filter at least every month during the hot weather. If you have a reusable filter, clean it regularly.
- Air seal your home. No matter the time of year or season, you don’t want conditioned air leaking outdoors or heat/cold from outdoors seeping in. Use weatherstripping around doors and also caulk around windows to prevent air leaks.
- Check your outdoor condenser for leaves and debris. Remove sticks, leaves, weeds, grass clippings or other obstructions within a two-foot radius of your outdoor condenser. Check it often for new obstructions and debris.
- Check the condensate drain. Located in the indoor side of your air conditioner, condensate drains are known to be difficult to gain access to, particularly if the A/C is in an attic. Ask your HVAC technician if you are not sure where it is. Your A/C draws in dust, dirt and other particulates as it brings in air, and some of that may clog your condensate line. If you can easily access the line, run a stiff wire through it to dislodge debris to create a free flow of condensation into the drain pan.
- Check the coils for dirt buildup. There’s a condenser coil outside and an evaporator coil inside. Check your manual for access details to them and use a foaming cleanser to clean them. Use a fin comb (found at most home improvement stores) to straighten bent fins.
Learn more about air conditioner maintenance from the experts at Airtron Heating and Air Conditioning.