22 Sep HVAC Tips for First-Time Home Buyers
With everything that is involved in choosing a new home, it’s quite easy for first-time home buyers to overlook features that are not easily visible, including the heating and cooling system. Given Dallas’ humid summers and cool winters, it’s important to know what kind of HVAC system you’re getting. Check out our tips:
- Determine the system type – While most homes in Dallas use furnaces, some may use boilers or heat pumps. The energy source used can greatly affect your heating bills. If a furnace or boiler is used, find out if it is fueled by natural gas, propane, oil, or another fuel.
- Learn the system’s age – After 10 years, most systems near the end of their lifespan. While a system may continue to perform well for years longer, it is also at high risk for requiring major repairs or a complete replacement.
- Find out the system’s efficiency rating – Older systems are generally less efficient and you’ll save more with a high-efficiency system than with a mid-efficiency one, no matter how old it is. For a furnace or boiler, check its Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE). For a heat pump, ask for the Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) and Heating Seasonal Performance Factor (HSPF). Higher-efficiency systems do include advanced features that improve their performance, such as variable-speed blower motors.
- Check the warranty – Even if the system was guaranteed under warranty when installed, the warranty could have expired or been voided by improper maintenance, such as not having annual inspections done. Without a warranty, unsuspecting first-time home buyers could have to pay the full cost of any repairs or parts replacements.
- Request the results of the last inspection – The heating and air conditioning system each require yearly professional inspections to keep them running at top efficiency and to prevent normal wear and tear from damaging the components. At the end of an inspection, the technician provides a report revealing any issues with the system. This report can alert you to potential problems.
If you are among the many first-time home buyers confused about your HVAC system choices and maintenance requirements, contact us for assistance at Airtron Heating & Air Conditioning in Dallas.