01 Dec Home Maintenance Methods to Keep Your HVAC System Happy
Residents of Dallas live with drastically varying weather. Winters are cold, summers bring blistering heat, and autumn and spring swing from one extreme to the other. Here are some home maintenance tips that will help keep your family comfortable all year long:
1. Roof gutters are put in place to collect rain and snow, redirecting water away from the foundation, preventing cracks. Every fall, gutters and spouts should also be cleaned, inspected and repaired. Tighten their brackets so they will support the weight of snow without breaking.
2. A watertight roof protects your home in the same way our skin protects us from the environment. Leaky roofs are known to cause expensive damage to the wiring, plumbing and furnace. Make sure to include roof inspection and repair in your annual house maintenance.
3. During an annual HVAC service, ask the technician to inspect the outside of your home. Cracks in the home’s exterior can drive up your heat expenses and cause icy drafts. Inspect the window frames, doors and places where wiring and plumbing enter your house. Also, examine the foundation of your home. Fissures enable water to drain into your basement, causing structural damage and potentially ruining your possessions. The spaces should be completely caulked before winter.
4. The furnace and ductwork will also require annual servicing. The technician ensures that everything is running smoothly, saving you from possible expensive emergency calls in the middle of the winter. Not only will the system run better, cleaning out the ductwork will also improve the quality of your indoor air. Dust and other debris often accumulate while unused.
5. The air filters should be replaced monthly. Fall visits from your HVAC company are a perfect time for their technician to change them for you and make sure everything is working the way it should. If you have allergies in your family, you may want to consider a higher grade filter to keep your air as clean as possible.
Call us today at Airtron Dallas-Fort Worth and we’ll help you get your home ready for the winter!