05 Nov Your Heating System? Some Terms It Can Pay to Know
As winter approaches, summertime memories can fade into worry about more pressing matters such as staying warm in the most cost-efficient way possible. If you discover that you need a new heating system, have to get work on the one you have or just looking for better efficiency, you’ll find it useful to familiarize yourself with heating system terms to better understand what your HVAC specialistrecommends. See a list of some of the most important heating system terms.
- Infiltration – This references the cold outside air entering your home due to poorly insulated spaces and openings. Reducing infiltration will reduce cost.
- Humidifier – This device adds moisture to dry winter air and can increase comfort and make it easier to breathe.
- HSPF – This stands for heating seasonal performance factor and rates a heating system’s performance the way MPG rates your automobile. Make sure your system is up to standards.
- Energy Star – This is a Department of Energy rating that determines the energy efficiency of an appliance. Ensure you use Energy Star-rated units.
- HRV – A heat recovery ventilator allows fresh pre-warmed to enter your home.
- Heat Exchanger – This is the part of a heating unit that transfers the heat from the heating unit to the air. It’s also a critical part of your heating system and one of the most important heating system terms.
- Duct – These refer to the pipes that lead to the air vents. Ensuring that ducts are properly insulated is crucial for proper heating efficiency.
- IAQ – Indoor air quality may become an issue if your home is too well insulated. If this is the case, you could require an addition to your current ventilation, or you may have a heating system leak.
By knowing some critical heating system terms, you could better determine where you might be lacking in efficiency and be better able to work with your HVAC specialist to ensure optimum performance and savings. Contact us at Airtron Dallas today and put your new knowledge of heating system terms to use saving you money.